The History of Alston Road Garage
There has been a garage on this site since the First World War. Bradley’s operated & repaired steam wagons; taking barytes, limestone & whinstone to Middleton Railway Station & beyond. After the War, Ralph Gowland bought the business operating mainly ex-war petrol wagons of various makes transporting the same types of materials. The first two pictures show the business, vehicles & staff in this period around 1925 with the current owner’s grandfather, Walter Tallentire, working as Senior Mechanic. The retail repair & vehicle supply side of the business was now developing. In 1933 Walter became a partner in the business & it became Alston Road Garage. The third picture shows Walter with partner Vince Allinson about 1938. Note the ‘battery’ shaped delivery van! In 1950 the wagons were sold out to Beadles; & the business concentrated on Car, Tractor & Agricultural Equipment supply & repair. In the 1970s & 80s the agricultural side declined; with Car & light/medium commercial repairs & The Ford Dealership taking the lead. The business also won some school contracts & this aspect grew significantly in the 90s & 00s. In 2013 Alston Road Garage employed 20 full & part time staff in the dealership & as drivers.
A family owned Dealership established 1933.
This photo on the present site in 1925 dates from when the current owner's grandfather, Walter Tallentire was Senior Mechanic before becoming a partner in 1933.
A Ford Dealer since 1963
The picture in the showroom shows Ian Tallentire and one of the new cars being supplied on 1st September 2011. This Ford Fiesta to Trevor Coates.